Design and Analysis of Surveys
From Wednesday 7 February to Friday 9 February 2018
This course covers the principles and practice of designing surveys, and the analysis of data from them. The following topics will be covered:
- Survey methods: face-to-face interviews; on-line surveys; phone interviews; paper questionnaires.
- Questionnaire design: open and closed questions; wording and ordering; layout and length of questionnaire; memory and recall; sensitive questions; pilot testing.
- Measurement: types of data; Likert scales; reliability.
- Sampling methods: simple random sampling; stratified sampling; systematic sampling; cluster sampling; multi-stage sampling; non-probability methods.
- Sample size and non-response.
- Estimation of population means, totals and proportions.
- Cross-tabulation and analysis of survey data.
- Analysis of ordinal responses.
The presenter is Associate Professor Graham Hepworth, Deputy Director of the Statistical Consulting Centre. Graham has had extensive experience over three decades in the area of design and analysis of surveys, in fields such as medicine, the social sciences, education and agriculture.
Each of the three days will consist of four approximately equal-length sessions; the first session of the day will commence at 9:00 a.m. and the final session will end at approximately 4.45 pm. The sessions will mix lecture presentations with practical work; tutorial help will be available.
A certificate will be provided on completion.
All participants will have access to a PC. The statistical package SPSS will be used in the course.
Cost and enrolment details:
The cost of the course is $880(incl. $80 GST).
We have a discounted rate for University of Melbourne postgraduate students of $660 (incl. $60 GST, GST does not apply if paying through your University school.)
$30 Cancellation fee applies
The fee includes a comprehensive set of notes, and morning and afternoon tea. Lunches are not provided.
Giblin Eunson Library
111 Barry Street
T: +61 3 8344 6995
$30 cancellation fee applies